Skip navigation

Manage an existing claim

Find out who to contact if you want an update on your claim or have found additional damage after settlement. In most cases, private insurers manage natural hazard cover claims on our behalf and should be your first point of contact.

Damage found after settlement

If you find more damage to your home or land after your claim has been settled, you must stop all work in that area and contact your claim manager immediately for advice. We’ll need to investigate the cause of the damage. If it was caused by the natural hazard you have already claimed for, you might be able to get an extra payment to cover the costs of repairs.

When to contact your insurer

In most cases, your claim is managed by your private insurer. If you have made a claim with your insurer, they will have assigned you a claims manager that should be your first point of contact.

Please contact them directly if you have any questions about your claim, or have discovered more natural hazard damage after your claim has been settled.

If you have an insurance broker, contact them directly to confirm how they can assist you with your claim.

When to contact NHC Toka Tū Ake

Your claim might be managed by us if:

  • the damage occurred before 30 June 2021
  • your insurer does not partner with us
  • you are a Direct NHCover customer

Contact your NHC Toka Tū Ake claims manager directly to discuss your claim. If you don’t have their contact details, you can call us on 0800 DAMAGE. Please have your claim number and address ready.

Your privacy is important to us. Before discussing your claim information, we will ask you some questions to confirm that it’s you.

Canterbury claims

If you’ve discovered missed earthquake damage to your home or land, or you believe sub-standard repairs were made, you can request a review of your original Canterbury claim using the Canterbury claim review form.

You can also call us on 0800 DAMAGE. Please have your claim number and address ready.

make a new claim
Make a new claim
In most cases you should make new claims for natural hazard damage through your private insurer.
claims assessor visits a home
Claims process
Navigate the natural hazard damage claims process, and what to do when buying or selling a home with previous claims.
our partnership wit insurers
Our partnership with insurers
We work with most private insurers to simplify the process for making a claim for natural hazard damage.