Skip navigation

Contact us

If you need help or have a question, get in touch with our team. Please use the form on this page for general enquiries and one of our team will respond as soon as possible. Or, for more specific enquiries, use the following contact details.

Make a new claim or manage an existing claim

Contact your insurer

We’ve teamed up with most private insurers to simplify the process for making a claim for natural disaster damage. In most cases, you should contact your insurer to make a new claim, or manage an existing claim.

When to contact NHC Toka Tū Ake about a claim

Natural Hazards Commission Toka Tū Ake manage a small number of claims directly. Please contact us to make a new claim or for an update on an existing claim if:

  • you want to discuss a claim for damage that occurred before 30 June 2021
  • your insurer does not partner with us
  • you are a Direct NHCover customer

Calling from within New Zealand: 0800 DAMAGE (326 243)
Calling from overseas: +64 4 978 6400
Mail: PO Box 311, Wellington, 6140

Request information from us

You can make official requests for information from us using our online form, and we will share that information with you unless there is a good reason not to. You can request claim information relating to property, or make a request for information such as personal information, or our internal policies.

Read more about requesting information, including the cost of making a request and the types of information we can provide.

Make a request for information using our online form.

Other ways to contact us

If you are unhappy with the outcome of a claim that was managed by your insurer, including your settlement amount, please talk to your insurer in the first instance.

If you haven’t received the service you expected from us, contact us to discuss your concerns. You can also make a complaint with us.

Make a complaint 

If you suspect someone is misleading NHC Toka Tū Ake or acting illegally related to a natural hazards cover claim, tell us about it.

Make an allegation

If you previously worked for NHC Toka Tū Ake (formerly known as the Earthquake Commission) and have concerns about experiencing or witnessing serious wrongdoing, you can make a protected disclosure.

Make a protected disclosure

For research funding or sponsorships, contact the Research team. 


Please let us know if you find something that isn’t clear, or that doesn’t comply with the Plain Language Act 2022. We’ll use your feedback to make our content easier to understand.

For media queries contact our Communications team.

Phone:027 406 3476

Contact us

First Page

NHC Toka Tū Ake is committed to being a trusted kaitiaki (guardian) of the personal information we collect. NHC Toka Tū Ake collects and uses your personal information for the purpose of managing and responding to your information request and in accordance with the Privacy Act 2020 and the Data Protection Use Policy.  Please refer to our full Privacy Statement for more information on how we collect, use and disclose personal information.

What is your enquiry about?