Skip navigation

Make a protected disclosure

If you previously worked for the Natural Hazards Commission Toka Tū Ake (formerly known as Earthquake Commission) and have concerns about experiencing or witnessing serious wrongdoing, you can make a protected disclosure. This is often called whistle-blowing. 

To make a protected disclosure you must have worked for NHC Toka Tū Ake as an employee (including as a secondment or as a contractor) or be (or have been) a member of the Board, a volunteer, or a third-party administrator.

If you are a current employee of NHC Toka Tū Ake, please refer to the Speak Up policy and procedure documents on the intranet to understand how to raise your concerns.

Serious wrongdoing can include things like:

  • an offence or a serious risk to public health or public safety 
  • the health or safety of any individual or the environment 
  • a serious risk to maintaining the law 
  • unlawful or corrupt use of public funds or public resources 
  • oppressive, discriminatory or negligent behaviour.

How to make a protected disclosure

There are a number of ways you can report serious wrongdoing.  

You can use our independent reporting service, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:

You can also email the Toka Tū Ake Speak Up officer at

There are a number of organisations that are able to receive protected disclosures. These organisations are called appropriate authorities and a list of them is available on the Ombudsman website.(external link)

The Ombudsman provides information and guidance if you are thinking about reporting serious wrongdoing. We recommend you read the guidance if you are considering making a protected disclosure.

Read the guidance from the Ombudsman.(external link)