Skip navigation


Homes in low-lying areas near waterways are generally more at risk of floods. Buildings with low floor levels are more likely to be flooded in these areas.

Ask your local council for a flood plain map to see if you’re living in or near a flood-risk area.  

Natural Hazards Commission Toka Tū Ake covers flood and storm damage on defined areas of residential land, where there’s a current private insurance policy for the home, which includes fire insurance (most do). 

Read more about natural hazards cover for flood damage(external link)