Skip navigation

Get to know your natural hazards cover

The best time to learn about natural hazards insurance is before you need it.

Cover for your home and land

We provide natural hazards cover for your home, and some related buildings and structures such as sheds and garages.

Although our scheme is mostly intended to help repair damaged homes, it also provides some cover for the land used for supporting and accessing a home.

Read more detail about your cover on our About natural hazards cover page.

You're covered for:

Illustrated graphic showing that home, related buildings and services are covered

  • your home or holiday home
  • related buildings or structures that are used as part of your day-to-day living, such as sheds, garages, or pergolas
  • some essential services associated with your home, such as water supply, gas or electricity

If your home is damaged by a natural hazard we can generally provide up to the first $300,000 plus GST towards repairing or replacing your home and related buildings.

New Zealand is one of the only countries in the world with access to residential land insurance, provided by NHC Toka Tū Ake. This land cover is limited, and is generally a contribution to repairs. It may not be enough to fully repair the damage to your land. It’s important to understand these limits and how you can manage the risks to your property.

You're covered for the land:illustration showing that the land under and around your home, and under your driveway is covered

  • under and up to 8m around your home, related buildings and structures; and
  • under your main access way up to 60m from your home.

You are also covered for some retaining walls, bridges and culverts, to a limit.

You are covered for the cost of repairing damage, up to the land cover cap, which is generally based on the value of your insured, damaged land.

What if the cost of repairing damage is more than the land cover cap?

Five things you should know

  • You automatically have NHCover if you have a home insurance policy that includes fire cover
  • You are covered for damage from a range of natural hazards, not just earthquakes
  • We cover the first $300k of damage to your home, then your private insurance policy kicks in
  • We provide limited cover for the land under and around your home
  • If you need to make a claim, call your private insurer.
Play video

This information provides a general summary of the insurance we provide under under our governing legislation, being the EQC Act for claims for damage that occurred before 1 July 2024, and the NHI Act for claims for damage that occurred on or after 1 July 2024. The Acts will always prevail over the content of this webpage.

  • We use the term “home” in this information while the Act uses the term “dwelling”.
  • Generally, everyone with valid private insurance for their home or holiday home that includes fire insurance pays the Natural Hazards Insurance levy and has access to our insurance cover.
  • Some insurers may offer additional top- up cover for land structures such as retaining walls, bridges and culverts. Talk to your insurer to find out what extra cover is available.
  • Information in this webpage is valid for homeowners who pay the Natural Hazards Insurance levy through a private insurer that is a member of the insurance partnership with us. For Direct NHCover customers or those whose private insurer does not partner with us, details on how you access NHCover or make a claim may be different.