Skip navigation

Insuring your property

You may have more difficulty getting insurance cover if your property has been identified as at risk from a natural hazard.

To qualify for natural hazards cover for land damage you need to have a current private insurance policy for your home that includes fire insurance (most do).

You are covered for the land:

  • under your home
  • under some related separate buildings and structures,
  • within 8 metres of your home, and relatedbuildings and structures
  • under or supporting your main access way, up to 60 metres from your home, for example under your driveway.

Any land outside of these areas is not insured.

We can only cover land that is inside your property boundaries shown on the record of title, or where you have a legal right to cross or use someone else’s land for a specified purpose, such as a right-of-way easement for a driveway on your neighbour’s land.

Our natural hazards cover is the only land insurance that is available in New Zealand and you can’t buy additional cover for land through your insurer. However, insurers may provide additional cover for some parts of your property such as retaining walls, and for parts of your property that we don’t cover such as your driveway surfaces and landscaping. Please talk to your insurer about what is included in your policy.

Read more about cover for land on the About natural hazards cover webpage.